Monday 20 October 2014

Afternoon Tea

I already posted the link to my Londond photos, with the album about Afternoon Tea, but I want to talk a little more about it, because tea is one of the topic of this blog, and if you haven't noticed, I like it a lot.

Ho già postato il link alle mie foto di Londra, con l'album sull'Afternoon Tea, ma ne voglio parlare un po' di più, perché il tè è uno dei temi di questo blog, e se non avete notato, mi piace un sacco.

Now that I know it a little more I can tell you that the classic Afternoon Tea consists of: a tea of your choice, a plate of assorted sweets including at least one macaron, one or more (if they are small) scone with a buttery cream which I believe is called "clotted cream" and jam (usually strawberry's) served separately, and finally a small assortment of finger sandwiches. As an afternoon snack honestly do not know how people can handle it because I had it for lunch and it seemed too much even for me, and mind you I have a rather large stomach, and love sweeties!

Ora che ne so un po' più posso dirvi che il classico Afternoon Tea è composto da: un tè a scelta, un piatto di dolci assortiti tra cui almeno un macaron, uno o più (se sono piccoli) scone con una crema burrosa che credo si chiami "clotted cream" e marmellata (di solito di fragola) servite separatamente, e, infine, un piccolo assortimento di finger sandwich. Come spuntino pomeridiano onestamente non so come si fa a reggerlo perché io ci pranzavo e sembrava troppo anche per me, e badate bene ho un stomaco piuttosto grande, adoro i dolci!

The first Afternoon Tea I tasted was at Dean Street Townhouse, that is actually a restaurant, not just a tea room. I couldn't make comparisons, 'cause that was my first Afternoon Tea, but it surely was greatly satisfying! First of all the place was nice, as well as the pottery, and then both tea and food were delicious!

Il primo tè del pomeriggio che ho assaggiato era alla Dean Street Townhouse, che in realtà è un ristorante, non solo una sala da tè. Non ho potuto fare paragoni, perche questo era il mio primo Afternoon Tea, ma sicuramente sono rimasta molto soddisfatta! Prima di tutto il posto era bello, così come le ceramiche, e poi sia il tè che il cibo erano deliziosi!

When I went to visit Jane Austen's House Museum, I took Afternoon Tea at the tea room which is right in front of the Museum, Cassandra's Cup. Well, of all the afternoon teas that I could enjoy during my holiday, this was without any doubt the best! Maybe it's because I've enjoyed being able to look out the window at the home of Aunt Jane? Maybe, but it certainly isn't the only reason, because it was truly the most beautiful Afternoon Tea, the tastiest, richest, and also cheapest. And the tea room is small but very pretty! I recommend everyone to conclude (or break, or even start, in short, the way you want!) your visit to Jane Austen's House Museum and Chawton with a tea at Cassandra's Cup, you won't regret it!

Quando sono andato a visitare il Jane Austen's House Museum, ho preso l'Afternoon Tea nella sala da tè che si trova proprio di fronte al Museo, Cassandra's Cup. Be', di tutti i tè del pomeriggio mi sono goduta durante questa vacanza, questo è stato senza dubbio il migliore! Forse è stato perché ho apprezzato il fatto di poter vedere fuori dalla finestra la casa di zia Jane? Forse, ma certamente non è l'unica ragione, perché è stato davvero il più bel tè pomeridiano, il più buono, il più ricco, e anche il più economico. E la sala da tè è piccola ma molto carina! Consiglio a tutti di concludere (o spezzare, o anche iniziare, insomma, come volete!) la visita al Jane Austen's House Museum e a Chawton con un tè alla Cassandra's Cup, non ve ne pentirete!

A tearoom a discovered really by accident is the wonderful Maison Bertaux. I have been there twice, but both times I wanted to go to the Soho Secret Tea Room, but I couldn't! :( Luckily right next door there's this cute tearoom, where they seem to ignore the Afternoon Tea but as for sweets they know a lot! The first time I took only one scone and then a slice of cheesecake to take away, the second time I ordered the cheesecake immediately, to eat it with the tea :) Really really good, it was only a shame the lack of the savoury part!

Una sala da tè una scoperta davvero per caso è la meravigliosa Maison Bertaux. Ci sono stata due volte, però entrambe le volte volevo andare alla Soho Secret Tea Room, ma non ho potuto! :( Fortuna che proprio accanto c'è questa carinissima sala da tè, dove sembrano ignorare il tè del pomeriggio, ma in quanto a dolci ne sanno un sacco! La prima volta ho preso solo uno scone e poi una fetta di cheesecake a portar via, la seconda volta ho ordinato subito la cheesecake, da mangiare con il tè :) Davvero molto buono, mi è solo dispiaciuto per la mancanza della parte salata!

I visited British Museum one of the last days of my holiday, so I was a bit tired, and I decided to take it easy with the visit, and do lots of stops, so I had already decided that I would have lunch there, and my lunch obviously was an Afternoon Tea! I took it in the Museum's restaurant. Unfortunately I have to say it was the least satisfying (and coincidentally also the most expensive), but still not bad, and the I liked the pottery a lot!

Ho visitato il British Museum uno degli ultimi giorni della mia vacanza, quindi ero un po' stanca, e ho deciso di prendermela comoda con la visita, e fare un sacco di fermate, quindi avevo già deciso che avrei pranzato lì, e il mio pranzo, ovviamente, era un tè pomeridiano! L'ho preso nel ristorante del Museo. Purtroppo devo dire che è stato il meno soddisfacente (e guarda caso anche il più costoso), ma comunque non male, e mi piacevano un sacco le ceramiche!

In short, if you haven't figured it out yet, I'm in love with Afternoon Tea! I was so stirred up that I tasted with pleasure even the famous cucumber sandwiches, and consider that I've always hated cucumbers before! Since I'm back in Italy, I never had another Afternoon Tea. I hope I'll be able to come back in England soon, but I can't wait, so I think that sooner or later I'll go to Babington's, in Rome!

Insomma, se non l'avete ancora capito, sono innamorata dell'Afternoon Tea! Ero così fomentata che ho assaggiato con piacere anche i famosi sandwich al cetriolo, e considerate che io ho sempre odiato i cetrioli! Da quando sono tornato in Italia, non ho più potuto prendere un Afternoon Tea. Spero che riuscirò a tornare presto in Inghilterra, ma non posso aspettare, quindi penso che prima o poi andrò da Babington's, a Roma!

Tea

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Shōgun [#books #reviews]

by James Clavell Rating: 9 /10 Only by living at the edge of death can you understand the indescribable joy of life. Mariko