Sunday 31 March 2024

Shōgun [#books #reviews]

by James Clavell


Only by living at the edge of death can you understand the indescribable joy of life.
Mariko

I read this book more than ten years ago, but since Disney+ made a series about it, I decided to post an english review!
Wow! What a great novel!!! It won me over from the first page to the last!!! A canvas of 16th century feudal Japan, incredibly fascinating and exciting! I have read little about Japan, but I think that even if I read more, it would continue to amaze me.
This book was a continuous discovery of wonderful and horrible customs, icy and passionate characters, beautiful and unlivable places. Like Blackthorne, I was enchanted by cleanliness, order, poetry, wa, but also by loyalty, courage, firmness... I would like, like Anjin-san, to acquire all the most positive aspects of Japanese culture!
The plot is constructed in an excellent way, with twists, love stories, violence, intrigue, poetry, and characters of all types.
Overall, a really good book!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Shōgun [#books #reviews]

by James Clavell Rating: 9 /10 Only by living at the edge of death can you understand the indescribable joy of life. Mariko