Saturday 23 March 2024

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner [#books #reviews]

by Samuel Taylor Coleridge


At lenght did cross an Albatross,
Thorough the fog it came [...].
(Page 21)

Not an easy read: thank goodness there was the translation, too!
This book didn't captivate me completely but it certainly fascinated me.
Above all, a reading that I have wanted to do since high school when, I think, we only read and analyzed a few verses.
Overall, I am very satisfied with this my second poetic reading of 2024!

Quotes

It is an ancient Mariner,
And he stoppeth one of three.
«By thy long grey beard and glittering eye,
Now wherefore stopp'st thou me? [...]»
[incipit]


FIRST VOICE
«But why drives on that ship so fast,
Without or wave or wind?»
SECOND VOICE
«The air is cut away before,
And closes from behind.
(Page 59)


He prayeth well, who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast.
He prayeth best, who loveth best
All things both great and small.
(Page 71)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!

Shōgun [#books #reviews]

by James Clavell Rating: 9 /10 Only by living at the edge of death can you understand the indescribable joy of life. Mariko